Cardinal Pietro Parolin said Wednesday that the Vatican is still investigating the documentation concerning Theodore McCarrick and will issue a declaration upon the investigation’s completion.
Speaking to reporters on May 29 at the Vatican, Parolin gave no indication of a timeline for the conclusion of the investigation, which he said is “taking up all of the documentation concerning the case.”
The investigation involves the compilation and assessment of documents from across Vatican departments, including Parolin’s own department of the Secretariat of State, and is being led by the Congregation for Bishops. CNA reported earlier this week that the Archdiocese of Washington has already submitted a report to the Congregation after examining its own records on McCarrick.
The Vatican first announced the investigation on Oct. 6 as “a further thorough study of the entire documentation present in the Archives of the Dicasteries and Offices of the Holy See regarding the former Cardinal McCarrick, in order to ascertain all the relevant facts, to place them in their historical context and to evaluate them objectively.”
McCarrick, the former Archbishop of Washington, was dismissed from the clerical state in February by Pope Francis and the Congregation of the Doctrine of Faith after he was found guilty in an administrative penal process of solicitation in the sacrament of penance and “sins against the Sixth Commandment with minors and with adults, aggravated by the abuse of power.”
Following McCarrick’s laicization, questions remain about the former archbishop’s rise in ecclesial responsibility despite complaints of sexual misconduct going back years, and about his financial management.
Since the first allegation against McCarrick was made public in June 2018, a number of accounts have emerged showing settlements reached by his former dioceses and alleging that the Vatican was aware of McCarrick’s behavior, or at least his proclivities, for years.
Read more at Catholic News Agency