After the demolition of a Dublin building, archaeologists have discovered the foundations a 300-year-old church that was used during times of Catholic persecution.
The church was uncovered by a team of archeologists during a dig taking place before the development of a 10-story office building planned for the site.
Excavation of the church will likely take place until December.
“We have to dig here very carefully because the church is a recorded monument,” archeologist Franc Myles told The Irish Times.
The church, St. Andrew’s Parish in central Dublin, was built in 1709, when British penal laws outlawed the practice of Catholicism.
“There was probably a building used as a chapel from the foundation of St Andrew’s Parish in 1709 and it is depicted on John Rocque’s map [of Dublin] of 1756,” a developer’s archeological report explains about the site.
Despite the prohibitions on Catholicism, the parish grew in its first hundred years. In fact, the archaeological report adds that, after significant growth in the parish, “it was decided that the chapel would have to be reconstructed” in 1811.
Read more at Catholic News Agency