Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Level I Catechist Formation
August 3 @ 9:00 AM - August 8 @ 5:00 PM
St. Thomas the Apostle, Ann Arbor, will host Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) Level I and Level II Catechist Formation in August. CGS Level I Catechist Formation is for anyone interested in utilizing a Montessori based religious program, whether in a classroom or at home, for children ages 3-6.
The goal of CGS Level I is to help the child enjoy and be in love with God, first proclaimed as Jesus, the Good Shepherd. Such a relationship is the strongest possible foundation for life-long spiritual growth and moral living.
Implementation of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd requires training for adults at each level or age group: Level I focuses on children ages 3-6. The Level I course is foundational for all three levels of CGS. The training course features 100 hours of lectures, participation in discussions, lesson presentations, assistance with preparing materials, and the catechist’s album.
At the end of this course, the participants will receive certification for Level I from the National Association of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (www.cgsusa.org).
Level I Course Objectives
• To explore the religious nature and the most vital religious needs of the 3-6-year-old child
• To present the methodology and guiding principles of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
• To broaden the catechist’s ability to observe and learn from children, to listen with children to
scripture and to deepen the catechist’s enjoyment of God’s presence
• To offer guidelines and assistance in preparing the “atrium” environment, developing the catechist’s teaching album, and making catechetical materials
• To meditate on the scriptural and liturgical themes presented to the 3-6-year-old
The Formation Leaders
Pam Turchi has been involved in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd since 2007. She assisted in building Level I, II, and III at St. Robert in Flushing, has been a catechist in all three atria and was certified as a Level I Formation Leader in 2018.
Hannah Turchi began her journey with Catechesis of the Good Shepherd in 2011, and is a catechist and Director of Religious Education at St. Robert Bellarmine, Flushing. In 2018, Hannah was certified as a Level I Formation Leader, and is currently enrolled in the Pastoral Studies and Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (MAPS-CGS) graduate program at Aquinas Institute in St. Louis, MO.
Tuition for Part One
Diocese of Lansing Parishioner: $250
Non-Diocese of Lansing Parishioner: $350
• A $100 nonrefundable deposit must be remitted with registration by June 30, 2020, to hold your seat in this course. The remainder of the tuition is due by August 3, 2020.
• NOTE: Your deposit is appreciated but not necessary right now given the current COVID-19 situation. Please simply sign up if you have an interest in attending the training
• Pay online or make checks or money orders payable to St. Thomas the Apostle (attn. 3-6 Training).
• Class size is limited to 25 participants
Three Required Texts
• The Religious Potential of the Child (Sofia Cavalletti)
• Listening to God with Children (Gianna Gobbi)
• The Good Shepherd and the Child, A Joyful Journey
Order from the National Association of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd at www.cgsusa.org
or from Liturgical Training Publications at www.ltp.org.
*Please purchase prior to the course as there will be preparatory reading assigned.
Other Recommended Reading
• Catechesis of the Good Shepherd in a Parish Setting (by Tina Lillig)
• The Development of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (by Sofia Cavalletti)
• The 4 pm-5 pm hour will be reserved for constructing materials
• Morning and afternoon snacks, as well as a light lunch, will be provided
Part One August 3-8, 2020 9 am- 5 pm (6-day course)
Part Two August 2-7, 2021 9 am-5 pm (6-day course)
St. Thomas the Apostle
530 Elizabeth Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Diocese of Lansing
For more information, to register, and to pay online, please visit the St. Thomas homepage and scroll down to the “Upcoming Events” section.